This is the sister sandwich to the Reuben. Another version substitutes sliced deli turkey for the pastrami. For a true deli experience, serve with a Kosher dill pickle and potato chips or potato salad.
Recipe Makes 1 Sandwich
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
- 1/4 cup coleslaw
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced pastrami (or deli turkey)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- Generously spread each slice of rye bread with the thousand island dressing.
- Put the coleslaw in a colander to drain off excess liquids.
- Top a slice of bread with the turkey or pastrami and Swiss cheese.
- Spread the coleslaw over the cheese layer and then top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Spread the softened butter over the top and bottom of the sandwich.
- Place a heavy skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Place the sandwich on the hot pan and cook until the bottom has browned. Carefully turn it over and cook until the other side has browned and the cheese has melted.