This recipe was taken from the 1933 edition of Balanced Recipes by Ellis Ames (Pillsbury Flour Mills Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota)
Recipe makes 5 dozen small cookies
1 cup Pillsbury’s Best Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Sift flour, salt and soda together.
- Cream peanut butter and shortening; add sugar gradually.
- Add unbeaten egg, lemon juice and grated rind; beat well.
- Stir in dry ingredients. Chill dough thoroughly.
- Form dough into small balls; place on greased baking sheet; press each cooky once with tines of a fork to flatten. Bake in 375 F. oven.