Fannie Farmer’s Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This Macaroni & Cheese recipe appears in the 1946 edition of Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook, and is probably the best recipe ever written for this wondrful comfort food. Please Note: CHEAP CHEESE will give you BLAND, FLAVORLESS dish.
Recipe Makes 4 Servings
1 (8 ounce) packages macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, buttered
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes. Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Turn off flame.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce. Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use: Once you have mixed the macaroni with the cheese sauce allow it to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer. Pull it out of the freezer and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature, add to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbling.