This recipe can easily be made by hand whisking although you may certainly use a blender set at medium speed or a food processor if desired.
Recipe makes about 2 cups
2 large egg yolks*
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups canola or other neutral oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and sugar until smooth and well combined.
- Slowly dribble in oil a few drops at a time while constantly whisking until mayonnaise is thick and oil is incorporated. Once mayonnaise has began to emulsify, you may begin adding oil somewhat faster.
- Store mayonnaise refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
Variations you may want to try:
- Substitute extra virgin olive oil for canola for a richer flavor.
- Substitute a flavored vinegar, such as sherry or cider, to change flavor profile.
- Add one minced garlic clove or minced herb such as fresh tarragon or thyme to alter taste.
*Consumption of raw or undercooked eggs, shellfish and meat may increase the risk of foodborne illness. To reduce this concern, use pasteurized eggs.