This cake is very rich, therefore the following recipe will make one 9-inch cheesecake from which you should get 14 slices. Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator lightly covered with plastic-wrap.
1 cup whole milk
4 Tablespoons salted butter*
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, bring milk to a scald. Do not boil.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt butter, Add flour and sugar to form a sweet roux, being careful not to brown.
- Slowly whisk the scalded milk into the roux and increase heat to medium high. Continue to stir the mixture until smooth and thick. Remove from heat to cool.
- While pastry cream cools, prepare a traditional pie dough and line a 9-inch springform cake pan with half, saving the balance for the lattice topping.
3 pounds good ricotta cheese
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs (slightly beaten)
4 Tablespoons orange flower water
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons flour
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1 batch pastry cream (see above)
- Combine the ricotta cheese, sugar, and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium-low speed.
- Add orange flower water, vanilla, cinnamon, flour and cornstarch and continue to mix for about 5 minutes until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add pastry cream and continue to mix for another 2 minutes.
- Pour filling into prepared cake pan, add lattice top, flute the edges and bake in 450ºF. preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove cake from oven and cool completely before un-molding and cutting.
- Before serving, generously dust each slice with confectioners sugar.
*Note: If using unsalted butter, add 1/8 teaspoon salt.