This is Mrs. Wiggins' original recipe as taken from Southern Living Magazine, February 1978.
Recipe serves 10 to 12 people
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup canola or safflower oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8-ounce) crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 - 4 medium sized bananas)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and place the rack in the center of the oven. Butter or spray two - 9x2 inch round cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.
Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop finely. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, pineapple, mashed bananas, and finely chopped pecans. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- packge cream cheese (8 ounces), room temperature
- 3-2/3 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and cream cheese, on low speed, until very smooth with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract and then stir in the finely chopped pecans.
Garnish with pecan halves if desired