These sugar cookies are the perfect starting place for a holiday cookie decorating party.
Yield: 100 cookies depending on size
1 ¼ cups butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
½ cup milk
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Stir together dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- If dough is sticky, add flour to handle.(Alternatively, you can place dough into refrigerator for about 20 – 30 minutes until dough is easy to handle.)
- Roll dough to ¼” thick on well-floured pastry cloth; cut into desired shapes.
- Place bake-on decorations on cookies.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet in 375° oven for 8 – 10 minutes.
Do not overbake cookies. Cool on racks.