Classic Southern Egg Nog from The Country Mouse Inn in Landrum, South Carolina.
1 cup brandy
1/2 cup sherry wine
1/2 cup Jamaican rum
1/2 cup whiskey
12 eggs, separated
3/4 cup white sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
1 quart vanilla ice cream, for serving
1 tablespoon freshly ground nutmeg as garnish
- Pour the brandy, sherry, rum, and whiskey into a bowl.
- Place the egg yolks and egg whites into two separate, large mixing bowls. Set the egg whites aside.
- Beat the egg yolks until light and frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar until the egg mixture is light colored. Slowly beat in the liquor mixture. With the mixer still running, pour in the milk and heavy cream until blended.
- Using a clean beater, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the milk mixture.
- Pour into two clean, gallon-size plastic milk containers. Refrigerate at least 5 hours, or 10 hours for an even smoother taste. Shake the container occasionally to keep the alcohol from separating.
- To serve, pour the eggnog into a punch bowl. Whisk to blend milk mixture, add the quart of vanilla ice cream, and garnish with nutmeg.