This amped up version of the classic Rotel-Velveeta dip filled with chorizo, beer, and black beans will quickly become your family’s favorite cheese dip.
- 1/2 pound bulk Mexican chorizo
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup your favorite beer or ale
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Velveeta, cubed
- 1/2 cup (8 ounces) Pepper Jack cheese, cubed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Rotel Tomatoes, partially drained
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
In a heavy deep-sided iron skillet, cook and crumble chorizo over medium heat until cooked through. Add onion and cook for another 5 minutes until softened. Drain well to rid mixture of any grease.
Return mixture to the skillet and add beer. Reduce for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and add both cheeses. Let melt, stirring often to prevent scorching.
After cheese has melted, add beans, cilantro, and Rotel Tomatoes with about half of the juice (for thinner dip add it all). Continue to stirring until dip is thoroughly combined and warmed throughout.
Remove from heat and transfer into warmed bowl. Enjoy with bought or homemade tortilla chips.
Crock Pot Instructions:
- Brown chorizo and drain well.
- Add meat and all other ingredients to Crock Pot. Heat on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.