Okra & Tomatoes with Gulf Shrimp
The combination of okra, tomatoes, and shrimp is a classic Cajun dish, perfect for serving over hot cooked rice.
Serves 6 people
- 1-1/2 pounds large (15-20 size) raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Louisiana Cajun Seasoning, divided
- 9 slices hickory smoked bacon, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen okra
- 1-1/2 cups diced Roma tomatoes, seeded
- 1-1/2 cup Louisiana Salsa, medium
- 12 ounces clam juice
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
In a large bowl, put shrimp and 2-1/4 teaspoons Cajan seasoning and toss to ensure all shrimp are coated. Set aside.
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Add flour to bacon drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until roux is dark brown, 5-7 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
Add okra, salsa, and diced tomatoes and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add clam juice and cook, stirring often, until thickened. Add shrimp and cook an additional 5 minutes or until just opaque. Stir in parsley, geen onions, and cooked bacon.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.