In the South, no shrimp basket, barbecue sandwich, or fried catfish plate is complete unless accompanied with hush puppies. These little cornbread balls are fried golden brown on the outside, soft and tender inside.
Recipe makes about 30 hush puppies
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup onion; chopped fine
- 1 egg
- 1 can cream style corn (16 oz)
- Buttermilk as needed
Mix dry ingredients. Add onion and corn. Mix well. If more liquid is needed to make desired consistency, add a little milk.
Drop heaping teaspoons into deep hot fat, about 360°. Fry until golden brown.
- Photo courtesy of Taste of Home