Kale Salad With Sorghum Vinaigrette
This sorghum recipe is from chef Mike Lata of Fig in Charleston, S.C. and will work with just about any green salad.
Recipe makes 4 servings
For The Vinaigrette:
- 1 Tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sorghum syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For The Salad:
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 bunch (about 10 cups) kale, stemmed and torn
- 1/2 cup red onions, thinly sliced into half-moons and rinsed
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, quartered lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Sorghum vinaigrette to taste
- For the vinaigrette, put shallots, mustard and vinegar in a bowl and slowly whisk in the canola oil. Add the walnut oil, sorghum and salt, whisking to incorporate.
- For the salad, blanch carrots in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then plunge in cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and reserve. Put kale, onions and carrots into a large bowl and dress with about 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette. Garnish with the eggs and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the salad. Serve family style on a large platter with the rest of the dressing on the side.