An almost forgotten classic cocktail that deserves a revival. This drink was invented in 1938 by Walter Bergeron, the head bartender at the Monteleone Hotel in New Orleans, and is named after the French term for what we call "The French Quarter" ... le Vieux Carré ("Old Square").
Recipe Makes 1 Serving
- 1 -/2 Tablespoons rye whiskey
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons brandy
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons sweet vermouth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Bénédictine D.O.M.
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Lemon twist (for garnish)
Combine first 6 ingredients in ice-filled rocks glass. Stir several times until glass is chilled. Garnish with lemon twist.