Shrimp and Grits
This award winning rendition of an American South favorite comes from The Swamp Fox Restaurant & Bar in the Francis Marion Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina where it has been served since the hotel’s restoration in 1996.
This recipe makes about 6 servings
- 12+ large peeled & de-veined shrimp
- 6 ounces Andouille sausage (or cured ham)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/3 large onion
- 12 ounces rich shrimp stock
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 8 ounces Adluh stone ground white grits
- sliced scallions and shredded pepper jack cheese for garnish
Prepare grits as specified on package (1-1.5 hours). Add pepper jack cheese to taste.
Dice ham or sausage. Slice peppers and onion to thin julienne.
Sauté sausage or ham in olive oil, add shrimp and sauté until they change color. Add stock and simmer until liquid is reduced in half. Add peppers, onions, heavy cream, and simmer until liquid is reduced in half again.
When shrimp are cooked through spoon over hot grits and garnish with shredded cheese and scallions.
- Yield will be approximately 20 ounces cooked grits.