Maple Pumpkin Bread
Adapted from a recipe by Karen Fortin at Carman Brook Maple and Dairy farm, Swanton, VT.
Recipe makes 3 standard loaves
- 1-1/2 cups maple syrup, grade B
- 3 cups pumpkin puree, canned
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pans well and set aside.
In a large bowl, thoroughly combine maple syrup, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, walnuts, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Fold batter until just combined. Divide batter into prepared loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.