Recipe makes about 72 to 84 cookies.
1½ cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond or lemon or orange, for variation)
3½ cups flour
decorative sprinkles, crystallized sugar, finely ground nuts, etc, for decorating
- Beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and baking powder; beat well.
- Add egg and extract, beating until well combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer, and stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. DO NOT CHILL DOUGH.
- Pack dough into cookie press; force dough through press onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Decorate tops, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are firm but not browned.
- Cool on wire racks.