2 cups White Lily® unbleached self-rising flour
1/4 cup Crisco® vegetable shortening, chilled
2/3 to 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Measure flour into large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixtures resembles coarse crumbs the size of peas. Blend in enough buttermilk until dough leaves sides of bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 2 or 3 times. Cut with 2-inch floured biscuit cutter. Place on pan with biscuits almost touching.
- Bake at 500 for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- GARLIC CHEESE BISCUITS: Stir in 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese before adding milk. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake as above. Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Brush on warm biscuits.
- TO USE ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: Combine 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt before cutting in shortening. Then follow directions above.