This is my momma’s (Sugar) cornbread recipe as taught to me at the age of ten years. I have converted it to standard measurements for the convenience of those wanting to give it a try. -Chef Monte
This recipe makes one 12-inch cake or about 8 large portions.
1 2/3 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 slightly rounded teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup bacon drippings (or lard or vegetable shortening)
2 tablespoons, cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place bacon drippings in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and put on medium low flame to heat.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add egg and buttermilk to dry mixture and mix just enough to moisten.
- Remove skillet from heat, swirl melted bacon grease to ensure bottom is well coated, then pour remainder into cornbread batter and mix well.
- Sprinkle last cornmeal in skillet and when toasted golden brown, add batter. Place in preheated oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove cornbread from the oven, cut into wedges and serve hot with plenty of butter.