This recipe can easily be made by hand whisking although you may certainly use a blender set at medium speed or a food processor if desired.
Recipe makes about 2 cups
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola or other neutral oil
In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and sugar until smooth and well combined.
Slowly dribble in oil a few drops at a time while constantly whisking until mayonnaise is thick and oil is incorporated. Once mayonnaise has began to emulsify, you may begin adding oil somewhat faster.
Store mayonnaise refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
Variations you may want to try:
- Substitute extra virgin olive oil for canola for a richer flavor.
- Substitute a flavored vinegar, such as sherry or cider, to change flavor profile.
- Add one minced garlic clove or minced herb such as fresh tarragon or thyme to alter taste.
- Consumption of raw or undercooked eggs, shellfish and meat may increase the risk of foodborne illness. To reduce this concern, use pasteurized eggs.