Sorghum Molasses Pie
This is an adaptation of an old Appalachian recipe. While similar to Shoo Fly Pie, is does have a slightly different flavor profile.
This recipe makes 1 9-inch pie
1 uncooked pie shell
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups sorghum molasses
1 tablespoon melted butter
juice of one lemon
pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until smooth.
- Add sugar, sorghum, butter, lemon juice and nutmeg. Beat for 1 more minute.
- Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center come out clean.
- Allow pie to cool before cutting.