President Ronald Reagan’s Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese is the food of presidents and diplomats since Thomas Jefferson. President Ronald Reagan’s favorite food was macaroni and cheese. Here is his recipe.
This recipe serves 4 as an entrée, or 6 to 8 as a side dish
1/2 pound macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg beaten
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add macaroni to 2 quarts of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in butter and beaten egg. Add 2-1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole. Pour milk mixture over and sprinkle top with the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is firm to the touch and the top is crusty and browned.
Serve at once, either as a light entree accompanied by a hot green vegetable and a crisp salad, or as a side dish with Hamburgers or Meat Loaf.
From The White House Family Cookbook by H. Haller and V. Aronson.