Banana Cream Whoopie Pies
These golden-edged banana cookies stuffed with banana flavored cream cheese frosting unite two favorites -- whoopie pie and moist banana cake -- in an immensely satisfying revival.
Recipe makes about 3 dozen
For the Cakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (from 1 large ripe banana)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (plus more for dusting if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Combine banana and sour cream in another bowl.
- Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed, until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, beating until incorporated. Add banana mixture in 2 additions, alternating with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain tip. Pipe batter into 1 1/4-inch rounds on baking sheets, spacing rounds 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Slide parchment, with cookies, onto wire racks. Let cool. (Unfilled cookies can be stored for up to 1 day.)
- Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and banana extract with a mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pipe or spoon 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture onto the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired, and serve.
- Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, September 2008.