This buttermilk pie has the wonderful tangy flavor from the buttermilk and lemon juice and zest. This pie is delicious served with freshly whipped cream and shreds of lemon zest.
For best results, the pie crust should be par-baked for 10-15 minutes and cooled before adding the filling.
Recipe Makes: One 9-inch Pie
1 9-inch pastry shell, frozen, refrigerated, or homemade
1 egg white
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
8 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl beat the eggs, cornstarch and sugar until well mixed.
3. Beat in the buttermilk and melted butter alternately followed by the lemon juice, zest, nutmeg and salt. Pour the filling into the pie shell and place the pie onto a cookie sheet or baking stone.
4. Bake for 1 hour and the top is crusted and puffy. It will still be jiggly but will firm up as it cools.
5. Let cool completely before attempting to slice.