While my momma (“Sugar” to us) experimented from time to time with different ice cream flavors, this recipe was her favorite and the one she most often made. It was also my father’s favorite. It should also be noted that this ice cream is extremely rich due to the use of six eggs and whipping cream.
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups whole milk
4 cups whipping cream
3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- In the large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and salt until mixture thickened.
- Add the cream and milk and mix thoroughly.
- Chill mixture in the refrigerator for one hour. (While this step is not totally necessary it will reduce freezing time.)
- Pour into freezer can of your favorite 1 gallon ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.
- When ice cream has finished processing, remove dasher being careful not to let salty water contaminate the ice cream. Cover freezer can and repack bucket with ice and salt to let ice cream cure and harden for about an hour before serving.