Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with cream cheese frosting are reminiscent of a Southern favorite and perfect for Valentines day, Christmas, or any day for that matter. These delicious red velvet cake cookies have a mild chocolate flavor and a heavenly cream cheese filling layered in between. I highly suggest you try this fabulous version of the growing family of whoopie pies!
Recipe makes 42 2-inch cakes.
Whatcha Need for the Cakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons red food coloring
Whatcha Need for the Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
- To make the cream filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto back of 1/2 the cookies.
Recipe Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens